Thursday, March 6, 2008

This monitor is too big

I got a request to install a refurbished computer in a teacher's office; a desktop case with a 17 inch CRT monitor. We usually ask the teacher make room on their desk for the computer and monitor.

As part of the initial request, she told us that the monitor was very big, She was hoping that an LCD monitor would magically show up on her desk. That was NOT going to happen. This computer was essentially free to her and her department, her department was not going to buy a new monitor for a refurbished computer.

I went to her office to do the install, again she said that the monitor was very big and could she have an LCD (a direct request to me this time) I explained that she would have to ask her department chair, and if it was OK'd she would get an LCD.

I was told that there wasn't enough room on her desk for the computer and monitor, she would like a small table, could I find a small table for her...HUH?!?! I don't do tables.

I directed her to the correct department and suggested that when she gets the table I would return to install the computer for her.

The teacher was not pleased, but there wasn't much I could do.

Where is the punch line, that silly bit that makes this a head banger....

Wait for it.....

The computer was a desktop case and the monitor sits ON the case, taking up no more room than the computer. So while she waits for a small table, the computer sits on the floor gathering dust.

I doubt the computer will ever get installed.

No comments: